There has been a lot of attention paid to the potentially damaging capabilities of the Conficker worm, which has been circulating on the Internet for several months now, but which was set to markedly increase this month with new attacks. Whether on not you have been affected, the attention to this virus / worm does raise some good points regarding protection of your PCs in general.
1. Install a good antivirus program which automatically updates itself with the latest definitions. Check periodically to see that it is functioning normally.
2. Make sure that automatic updates is enabled if you have a Windows operating system. The Windows vulnerability that is targeted by Conficker is addressed through automatic updates. Many other fixes are regularly repaired through the automatic update mechanism.
3. Use anti-malware / anti-spyware such as Malwarebytes
4. Run the Malwarebytes every other week – do the full scan
5. Don’t browse Porn or Casino sites. A lot of junk comes from these areas, as well as from illegal file sharing platforms.
6. Consider getting a Mac for security reasons, but remain aware that Macs can be attacked, also.
Any other suggestions?